Sunday, September 19, 2010

Lotoja



My brother In-law Stephen loves biking. He is always on a bike. No Joke, haha!
This year he started training for the Lotoja, which is a bike race from Logan to Jackson Hole. Thats 206 miles! It's not an easy trail, thats for sure. Steve wanted a photographer for the lotoja... Spencer thought it'd be a good experience to photograph cyclists averaging 25 mph! It worked out perfect because Spencer is taking advanced photography and was able to count the Lotoja pictures toward several assignments.


I stayed in Layton and watched my nieces and nephew. While Cynthia, Steve, Spencer and Steve's brother Michael went to Logan. Steve raced, Cynthia drove, Spencer stuck his head out of the car and snapped photo's. They were able to follow Steve almost the whole way since Michael was in charged of the Ham Radio.


All I heard when Spencer returned, was how fast Steve was! I guess there were several times where they were sure that Steve was behind them, when in fact he was ahead of them. He's pretty fast! My favorite story was when they were driving back, late saturday night, Steve ended up driving the last leg home. They all had been up since 4 am and were having a hard time staying awake. Spencer was so nervous that Steve would fall asleep while driving. Spencer kept drifting in and out of sleep, keeping his eye on Steve...he opened his eyes to check on Steve, and he saw Steve's head slowing falling to the side! Spencer hurried and started slapping Steve in the face!! Telling him to wake up! HAHAHA Well Steve was awake!! He was just stretching his neck!! HAHAHA Steve told Spencer he was grateful that he was looking out for them, but I seriously found this story hilarious.

I'm glad Spencer was able to go on this trip, He really enjoyed spending time with my family. And I enjoyed hearing all the stories. GO Steve!! He averaged 18.7 (I can't remember the exact decimal) a mile. Rode 206 miles in 10 hrs and 45 mins. That's pretty amazing. :)

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that story! I still can't believe he was able to ride that far and for that long... it's still amazing. Thanks for the great pics.